Gay’s Lion Farm was located in El Monte, CA. This was their company float from the 1939 Rose Parade. According to Wikipedia, founders Charles and Muriel Gay were Anglo-French circus performers who worked with lions. They settled in Los Angeles in 1914, eventually opening Gay’s Lion Farm in 1925, “a public attraction dedicated to the breeding, training and exhibition of African lions. The Farm quickly became one of the most popular tourist attractions in the Southland, doing a brisk trade in souvenir photographic postcards.” The MGM studio lions that roar before the opening of movies came from here.
During its most successful period, there were more than 200 adult lions living at the Farm. Unfortunately, it closed in December 1942 due to wartime rationing. It never reopened and the lions went to live at zoos across the country.