As screentime levels rise across the world and more people are spending time indoors, they’re turning to streaming for at-home entertainment. Netflix is one of the most popular platforms, but not all of the content is appropriate for every viewer. The company is making changes to their parental controls in 2020, and we’ve got it covered.
The Netflix Kids Experience
Parents can choose to create an account that will give their children a Netflix Kids experience, which is tailored to young viewers. The Kids experience has a simplified look, blocks access to account settings, and only displays TV shows and movies carefully selected just for kids.
To enable the Kids experience:
- Select “Kids” when you create a profile.
- Or, go to a profile’s “Viewing Restrictions” setting.
- Select “Display the Netflix Kids experience with titles just for kids.”
With the latest updates, parents can remove specific movies and shows from their child’s accounts and choose the maturity level for each profile.
Prior to the changes, parents could set up accounts for their children but there was no way to block children from switching to their parents’ accounts. Now, a PIN code can be added to protect an adult’s account.
How to Get the Latest Parental Controls
- From your web browser, go to your “Account” page.
- Open up “Parental Controls.” If you don’t see a valid link, you already have the latest controls set to your account.
- Once you see the “New Parental Controls” page with details about parental controls for each profile, you can change profiles by adjusting maturity levels, adding PINs for access, and review your list of restricted titles.
- Click “Save.”