The COVID-19 pandemic has many reimagining how we celebrate Halloween, from going all out on decorations to virtual trick-or-treating. Nextdoor, a social networking platform for local neighborhoods, is the latest to offer its users pandemic-friendly ideas to celebrate Halloween. The app’s annual “Treat Map” is back and equipped for families looking to celebrate Halloween safely mid-pandemic.
A nationwide Nextdoor poll found that 73% of users say they’re looking for an alternative to traditional trick-or-treating this year. With the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Halloween 2020 guidelines listing traditional trick-or-treating as a “higher risk” activity, many are scrambling to figure out safer ways to celebrate.
Nextdoor’s Annual Treat Map
This year, neighborhors can use the Treat Map to share which low-risk activities they are planning. Three icons help users identify local festivities in three categories:
- Haunted Decor
Ghoulish adornments on your car or residence.
- Pumpkin Projects
Show off your painted or carved jack-o-lanterns.
- Costume Wave Parade
Dress up and say ‘Hi’ to neighbors.
Using the Treat Map, families can plan a safe night out for Halloween — walking or driving by houses that are marked in-app. Check out these steps to add your home to the Treat Map.
- Open the Nextdoor app or visit nextdoor.com/halloween to log in or create a Nextdoor account.
- Visit your neighborhood map.
On mobile, tap “More” at the bottom right of the screen, then “Treat Map” underneath “Neighborhood.”
On web, the Treat Map will be located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- A window will appear that asks “How are you celebrating Halloween?” Choose from the selection of haunted decor, pumpkin projects, and costume wave parade.
- Encourage your neighbors and friends to visit the Treat Map and share how they will be celebrating.
Hunt for Spooky Virtual Visitors
Nextdoor and Party City also teamed up to launch an all-new augmented reality (AR) experience. Using the Nextdoor app, families can use their phone’s camera to access the TreatMap to scout and bring to life Halloween-themed “Virtual Visitors” in their homes, neighborhoods, and Party City stores.
Every Thursday, new Virtual Visitors will be released.
To find Virtual Visitors in your area:
- Open the Nextdoor app.
- Click on “Treat Map.”
- Look for ghosts on the map with the label “View in 3D.”
- Click on “View in 3D.”
- Once you find the Virtual Visitor, take a picture of it.
- Follow the instructions to post to the Nextdoor Newsfeed and share your finds with neighbors.