Now that iOS 12 has added the Screen Time feature, why would you pay for a subscription app like OurPact? We take a look at Screen Time and OurPact Premium to help you make the best choice for your family.
Note: OurPact is also available for Andriod devices, but this review focuses on iPhone vs. OurPact only.
Screen Time vs. OurPact – A Comparison
- Screen Time is a FREE feature of iOS12.
- OurPact Premium is $6.99/month; there is a free version of OurPact, but it comes with limited functionality.
- Both allow you to filter web content to block inappropriate content.
- Both allow you to disable purchases made on your child’s device.
- Screen Time has one automated schedule — it’s called Downtime.
- OurPact Premium has unlimited automated schedules, as well as restricts specific apps or allow specific apps, overriding the schedules at any time.
- Screen Time has apps divided into categories (Social Networking, Education, Games, etc.) and these are restricted during Downtime; Always Allowed sets some Apps to override Downtime.
- OurPact Premium allows you to create allowances for each App on your child’s phone based on the schedules you set (always blocked, per schedule, always allowed).
- Screen Time does not have a locator function but you can set up Share My Location in the iOS Message App.
- OurPact Premium Family Locator allows you to set geofences around your child’s frequent locations (home, school, after-school activities). You can get an alert each time they pass through the geofences.
- Apple is no longer supporting OurPact through its App store. You can get the App through the
Screen Time vs. OurPact – The Bottom Line
The choice comes down to how much functionality and control you want over your child’s device. If you want a “bedtime” for your child’s iPhone with basic restrictions over Apps and content for free, Screen Time is
If you want multiple schedules, greater control over individual Apps, and you don’t mind the expense, OurPact is a robust parental control App.
Check out and download the Parentology infographic on Screen Time vs. OurPact.