A father in Roseville, Michigan is warning parents after his 8-year-old daughter was hospitalized after attempting a magic trick she saw in a viral TikTok.
Local 4 News reports that the TikTok showcased a magic trick involving a die. In the TikTok, a male places a die into his mouth, moves it around, and makes it “disappear” as he appears to swallow it. Then, he makes it reappear as it seems to come back out his throat. When the little girl, Dhakota, couldn’t find any dice, she thought a quarter could act as a replacement.
However, when she tried it out and swallowed the quarter, just as she thought had happened in the original TikTok, the coin became wedged in her esophagus. She began gasping for air and ran to her parents for help.
According to her parents, Dhakota was only in the bathroom trying the trick for minutes before she ran to them for help. They rushed her to two different hospitals before a doctor was able to see her.
“They immediately took her back,” Her father told Local 4 News. “I didn’t know how bad the situation was until they brought the x-ray back and I saw the quarter right there in her esophagus. It killed me.”
The x-ray showed the quarter had lodged sideways in her throat (pictured above). The doctors had to perform an emergency procedure, causing Dhakota to stay overnight in the hospital. Currently, Dhakota is recovering at home.
More Cautions Against TikTok Challenges
Unfortunately, the alleged magic trick is hardly the first hospitalization linked to someone attempting a TikTok challenge.
In August, an Oklahoma teen tragically died from a Benadryl overdose. KFOR reported that the teen took the medication after seeing the “Benadryl Challenge” on TikTok, which reportedly encourages users to take excessive amounts of Benadry to induce a “high.”
Prior to the teen’s death, the challenge caught media attention after three Texas teens were hospitalized after also attempting the same challenge.
In March, two teens faced criminal charges after causing another teen to be hospitalized in an attempt at the “Skull Breaker Challenge.” In the challenge, three people are standing in a row. When the middle person jumps into the air, the two on either side kick their legs out from under them.
The hospitalized teen was unaware of the challenge when the other teens attempted it on him. The boy was sent to the hospital, where he was treated for a concussion and seizure.
Like many other parents who have seen their kids in harm’s way after following a TikTok challenge, Dhakota’s parents are sending out a warning.
“Everybody in the city, anybody in the world they should delete that off their kid’s phone or their tablet because it’s dangerous, man,” Dhakota’s father said. “I could’ve lost my kid.”
According to TikTok’s parental controls, users much be 13 or older to be on the platform; however, after a child enters their alleged age into the system, there are no other verification settings.