In celebration of DreamWorks Abominable Digital release today and its forthcoming December 17th release on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-Ray and DVD, Parentology is sharing a clip with some behind-the-scenes info fans will love. And because we can’t get enough of this story of grief, friendship, teamwork and adventure, we’re also sharing the trailer and a 10-minute clip to whet your appetite to watch the entire film.
Didn’t catch Abominable in theatres? Here’s what you need to know, starting with the talent behind the voices. Helming the project are Yi (voiced by Chloe Bennet) and Everest (Joseph Izzo). Joining in the journey to deliver Everest back “home” are Peng (Albert Tsai) and Jin (Tenzing Norgay Trainor). Recognize the voices of Burnish and Dr. Zara? Those would be Eddie Izzard and Sarah Paulson.
Yi, who’s missing her deceased father, finds solace when playing her father’s violin. This finds her on the rooftop of her family’s apartment in China. One night, she encounters a young Yeti, who she and her friends, Peng and Jin, dub Everest.
Like Yi, Everest is also yearning for his family, who reside at the highest point on Earth. Determined to help the Yeti, Yi, Peng and Jin set off to find Everest’s homeland and family. Fast on their heels, though, are Burnish, who’s set on capturing Everest, and zoologist Dr. Zara.
What the kids encounter along their trek — pure magic, both that of the land they’re discovering and powers possessed by Everest.
There’s magic to be had in China, too. After all, even for Yi, Peng and Jin, there’s no place like home. Delving into their home lives brings viewers a glimpse into Chinese culture.
Want to add the 4K Ultra HD, Blu-Ray or DVD to your collection. Here are the extras that come with those formats:
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K Ultra Hd, BLU-RAYTM, DVD and digital:
- DREAMWORKS SHORT – MAROONED -Marooned, tells the story of a cantankerous and selfish robot named C-0R13. Stranded on an abandoned lunar outpost, C-0R13 longs to return to Earth. With a partially built ship and his last power source, this determined robot will stop at nothing to achieve his goal.
- SHOW AND TELL – Back home in the Himalayan Mountains, Everest puts on a magical show-and-tell for his fellow yetis after he receives a special care package from Yin, Jing and Peng.
- DELETED SCENES with Intros by Writer/Director Jill Culton and Co-Director Todd Wilderman
- Play All
- Spa Day
- Villains at the Map
- Magic Montage
- Yak Attack
- MAKING A MYTH (MOVIE) -In this entertaining ‘making of’ we learn from the filmmakers and stars how they brought the heartfelt and whimsical story of Abominable to life – from the use of magic, music and humor, to the themes of family and nature.
- ANIMATING ABOMINABLE -From production design to storyboarding and animating, the creative team behind Abominable will take us through the design and animation of the film.
- MEET THE CAST -This fun featurette introduces the audience to the cast of Abominable and the characters they play. Learn first-hand from the actors what their personal inspiration was for the role and how they went about performing the voicework.
- Play All
- Chloe Bennet as Yi
- Tenzing Norgay Trainor as Jin
- Albert Tsai as Peng
- Tsai Chin as Nai Nai
- Joe Izzo as Everest
- YOUR YETI CARE GUIDE -Chloe, Albert and Tenzing provide tips and tricks to caring for your newly adopted “Yeti”. In this case YETI stands for pet – dog, kitten and bird.
- COURAGE TO DREAM -This featurette explores the character Yi, the strong, independent and untraditional female lead at the center of Abominable. Actor Chloe Bennet and the filmmakers discuss what makes Yi special and why she is the ultimate role model for young girls and boys today!
- AN ABOMINABLE TOUR WITH CHLOE BENNET – Like her father before her, Yi dreams of travelling across China to see the many beautiful, natural and culturally significant locations featured in Abominable. Chloe Bennet, the voice of Yi, will take viewers on their own magical journey.
- EVEREST’S TALK BOX – Shooting on the DreamWorks Animation campus, we bring in some real kids to meet the man behind the voice of Everest, Joe Izzo, and the audio team from Abominable to learn about all the cool tech that went into Everest’s voice.
- COOKING WITH NAI NAI – Can Tsai Chin, the voice of Nai Nai, learn to make Nai Nai’s famous pork buns in real life? Let’s find out!
- HOW TO ABOMINABLE – Bring Everest, Yi and Nai Nai to life in your home with this How-to-Draw with a difference. Not only will we show you how to recreate your favorite characters from Abominable, but also how to magically bring them to life through a homemade Chinese style lantern!
- How to Draw
- Play All
- Nai Nai
- How to Make a Chinese Lantern
- YOU CAN SPEAK YETI-ESE – Inspired by foreign language courses, viewers can learn how to speak Yeti-ese with these easy teaching guides hosted by Chloe Bennet.
- NAI NAI SAYS – Narrated by Nai Nai, Yi’s wise grandma gives us life lessons on how to be a strong, independent, modern woman.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY – Writer/Director Jill Culton, Co-Director Todd Wilderman, Producer Suzanne Buirgy, Producer Peilin Chou, Production Designer Max Boas, Visual Effects Supervisor Mark Edwards, and Head of Character Animation John Hill
Opting for instant gratification (we don’t blame you)? Go Digital
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- MOVIES ANYWHERE is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-ray and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. MOVIES ANYWHERE is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.com.