What are the most popular chat apps that kids in the USA are using today? If you’re a parent and don’t know, don’t feel bad — it’s hard to keep up.
From Omegle to Clubhouse, chat apps and websites are popping up all the time. However, kids are constantly immersed in technology and seem to always be one step ahead of adults when it comes to knowing what’s hot and what’s not. It’s with that in mind that Cyberwise focused their monthly webinar on the most popular chat apps right now in the USA, and if parents should be worried.
Hosted by Cyberwise/Cyber Civics educator Diana Graber, the event included Parentology’s Editor-in-Chief, Rick Andreoli, who listed the most popular apps we’ve covered in the past year. It also featured Dr. Pamela Rutledge, a Media Psychologist who offered insight into why kids love some of these chat apps more than others, and what tools parents need to navigate this world.
- Kids need to connect, and this is how they’re doing it — especially during the pandemic when they can’t be face to face.
- Kids are going to get on these apps whether you like them or not. However, if you rail on kids about these apps, they’ll just use them behind your back and keep secrets from you. So, if that’s the case…
- Stay informed, and ask your kids about these different chat apps and what happens on them.
- Explain to your kids that they may come across inappropriate content, creepy people, or cyberbullies, and let them know what they can do about that.
- Go through the chat apps’ functionality with your kids and show them how to report inappropriate behavior.
- Let your kids know they can trust you, and if they see or experience something that makes them uncomfortable, that they can come to you about it. Let them know you are a safe person they can talk to.
Watch it here. Resource links are below the video.
Popular Kid Chat Apps in the USA
Omegle — The Dangerous New Chat Site Where Kids Meet Strangers
Is Emerald Chat Safe? — Omegle Alternative Could Be New Tool For Predators
Is Clubhouse Safe to Use?
8 Chat Apps That Parents Should Know About
5 Most Popular Teen Dating/Hookup Apps