With the rise of social media fame, gender reveals have grown increasingly popular. And, more gender reveals means more failed ones, ranging from cringe-worthy to downright hilarious. From kids crying over unwanted results to painful party favor malfunctions, these gender reveal fails for 2020 will make these folks more infamous than famous.
We know this is intended to be a funny post, but the first one is the most obvious, and the worst: the gender reveal that sparked the El Dorado Fire in San Bernardino County.
While officials haven’t released surveillance footage of the incident due to ongoing investigations, they described the recording to CNN. In it, a couple and several children can be seen walking into the grass while another person appears to light a device. As the device ignites, the family could be seen “scrambling” and grabbing water bottles to try to stop the growing fire. Sadly, it wasn’t enough.
As of this writing, the fire is 66% contained and roughly 19,000 acres have burned. No charges have been filed against the family yet.
Tom and Kristin Cressotti wanted the reveal of their baby’s gender to be spectacular, so they bought smoke bombs designed to shoot 30 feet into the air. From the photo above, you can tell that it didn’t work out so well.
But this isn’t the only explosion to come from these events…
The Internet Explodes
When Tank the hippo was used in a gender reveal, the whole internet exploded claiming it was animal abuse.
Turns out, Capital of Texas Zoo officials knew the gender reveal was happening and helped facilitate it. Once the , the online screaming started, the zoo director came forward saying that feeding gelatin to zoo animals is not uncommon or harmful.
In a statement, mom Bridgitte Joseph talked about the couple’s fertility journey while assuring worried animal lovers that Tank, the gender reveal hippo, was fed a watermelon filled with safe, organic jello, and he “was more than happy to have the treat.”
Some people want to save money on their gender reveal, so they rig one up themselves. Huge mistake.
Pamela Kreimeyer, 56, died when the homemade explosive device, which was supposed to shoot colored powder in the air, instead exploded and a piece of metal struck Kreimeyer in the head, killing her instantly.
“This is a reminder that anytime someone mixes these things there is a high potential for serious injury or death,” Sheriff Jason Sandholdt said in its statement. “Please do not take these unnecessary risks.”
Another Risky Incidents
In Texas last September, expecting parents wanted to elevate their gender reveal — sky-high. The plane did the reveal by dumping approximately 350 gallons of pink water. However, the craft got too low, causing it to stall and crash upside down.
No one was seriously injured, which is fortunate, but surprising: a Federal Aviation Administration inspector reported that there were two people aboard the single-seat plane, which doesn’t meet regulations.
Moving on from risking life and limb, to cakes and kids gone wrong…